Saturday, 8 July 2017

'A Tree in Water: My Journey From Aotearoa to The Great White North' Chapter 3.

Well, I had settled into the apartment and haven’t found any problems with it (unless you count the apartment being a little messy and need a little bit of vacuuming). I unpacked my stuff and set up my room, but after a day of intense rest, I think it was time to go out and finally meet up with my family friends here (whom I have not seen in ten years). The Mins were good family friends of ours, they lived a block away from my third home. As a kid I would go over their house often and be baby-sat by the three kids, Kevin, Rachel and Johnny (now Raven). When they left New Zealand in 2007, I was saddened that they were no longer around. So when I finally decided to immigrate to Canada, Toronto was my number one choice. Partly because I was able to see them again after all these years. I was pretty stoked.


They were supposed to meet me in the morning but they arrived in the early afternoon. This was probably due to the fact that the traffic that day (like every other day in Toronto) was horrendous, as well as the fact they live all the way in North York. So I spent most of my day with them and catching up with them after they left New Zealand ten years ago. I was pleasantly surprised how much they have not changed yet they assimilated into Torontonian society. They have truly become Canadians, obviously. I was able to set myself up and I was able to get a better sense of my surroundings thanks to them. What I needed to do with them was to obtain a SIM Card (which I did from the Freedom Mobile kiosk at Eaton Centre) and other miscellaneous items from a normal small grocery store. Fortunately I was able to accomplish what I needed to do with them by the end of the day, including securing a contact with an associate of theirs who happened to be a real estate agent. It’s good to have connections. Getting a SIM Card, some miscellaneous items and a real estate agent’s number doesn’t sound like a lot of things but these were things that I desperately needed to make it through the two weeks. Anyways, that’s was it.


















No comments:

Post a Comment